- 10 South Street
- New York, NY 10004
- Lower Manhattan
- Web Page
- Activity Type
- Boat ride, Other
- Park Type
This is a great and surprisingly not well known makom. It is possible to spend a whole day here and not spend anything. Among the free stuff: Ferries to & from the island, kayaking, mini-golf, tram around the island, free biking on Friday and various events. It's an unusual place, a quiet spot between Brooklyn & Manhattan. Check this makom out before it's changed forever!
Governors Island is open to the public every Friday, Saturday and Sunday from May 30 through October 11 for the 2009 season. There are events, activities and performances planned for every weekend. The ferry ride and admission to Governors Island are FREE!
Governors Island is a 172-acre island in Upper New York Bay, approximately one-half mile from the southern tip of Manhattan Island. It is legally a part of the borough of Manhattan in New York City. It is separated from Brooklyn by the Buttermilk Channel. The island was expanded by approximately 82 acres of landfill on its southern side when the Lexington Avenue subway was excavated in the early 1900s.
In 2001, the two historical fortifications and their surroundings became a national monument. On January 31, 2003, control of most of the island was transferred to the State of New York for a symbolic $1, but 13% of the island (22 acres) was transferred to the United States Department of the Interior as the Governors Island National Monument which is now administered by the National Park Service. The national monument area is in the early stages of development and open only on a seasonal basis, so services and facilities are limited. The national historic landmark district, approximately 92 acres (37 ha) of the northern half of the island, is open to the public seasonally during the summer months. 
The Governors Island waterfront offers some of the most dramatic and impressive vistas of the New York skyline and New York Harbor, including the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. 
- There is a bike rental on the island. Every Friday is “Free Bike Friday” at Bike and Roll. The entire fleet of adult and kids bikes available for rent for up to one hour at no charge on a first come, first serve basis.
- There is an 18-hole mini-golf course. The course is totally FREE and open to the public on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays while Governors Island is open, from FIGMENT on June 12 to October 11, 2009.
- Sometimes there is free kayaking at Pier 101 (where the Brooklyn ferry docks).
- There is a Cafe near Pier 101, as well as stands and machines throughout the island.
Hours Subject to change. Always verify.
Governors Island will be open every Friday, Saturday and Sunday from June 5th through October 11th. On Friday, the Island is open from 10 AM to 5 PM; on Saturdays and Sundays, the Island is open from 10 AM to 7 PM.
- Free ferries to Governors Island depart from the Fulton Ferry Landing in Brooklyn every 20 minutes on days when there is scheduled programming on Governors Island.  There is also a ferry every half hour from the Battery Maritime Building located adjacent to the Staten Island Ferry in Lower Manhattan.
- Access to the ferries is on a first-come, first-served basis. On Saturdays and Sundays, ferries are limited to 400 persons per trip; tours on Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays are limited to 40 people per tour.
- See here for more information.